Monday, October 18, 2021

UNHOLY GHOSTS / BELOVED MOTHERS

 

Still from The Portal (2018- )


UNHOLY GHOSTS

Curated by Willy Soma


October 28 - November 28


JeffMarfa
Marfa, TX
 

In the company of artists Roxanne Jackson and Max Masalansky, my video installation, The Portal (2018-) featuring P.M.H. Atwater, will be on view.






The Altars Festival

Organized by Maleke Glee and Barrett Pitner


October 29- December 10


STABLE Arts 

Washington, D.C.


For its second iteration, The Altars Festival is presented in partnership with The Sustainable Culture Lab and STABLE in D.C. This year they have commissioned nine artists to create altars with the aim that the greater community will see these examples, and become inspired to engage in their own, culturally relevant acts of remembrance. 


The Altars Festival is a cross-cultural ancestor remembrance celebration. We combat ethnocide through acts of cultural remembrance, activating ancestral knowledge, and creating new traditions that are relevant to our lived experiences.



My altar commemorates my chosen family and connects and honors all the people who have nurtured and guided me since birth; the friends, lovers, and mentors whose labors are not as visible, yet who have been most important and intrinsic to my growth.

 

Flowers and gold elements make up the foundation of the altar, to echo my biological family who started the first floral business in Pittsburgh on the Northside’s East Ohio Street. Their lifelong vocation and passion have fueled my art practice, as it continues through generations. 


A video element includes images and names of all those who have mothered me/guided me (and some who have guided them).